Eight shops were burnt down in the jute village of Lalmonirhat. The affected traders claim that there has been a loss of half a million rupees.
The fire incident took place on Wednesday (November 1) at around 3 pm in Baura market of the upazila.
The affected traders are – traders Anwar Hossain, Bulu Mia, Nabiul Islam, Abdur Rashid, Habibul Haque, Abu Taleb, Sohrab Ali and Alam Hossain.
Baura Union Parishad (UP) member Mamun Sarkar said that the traders closed their shops on Wednesday night and went home. A fire broke out in a grocery store in the market around 3 pm.
On receiving the information, two units of Patgram and Hatibandha Fire Service tried to bring the fire under control for about 30 minutes. Before that, eight shops and goods in the market were completely burnt.
The affected businessmen have claimed that there has been a loss of about half a million rupees.
Patgram Fire Service and Civil Defense Station Officer Mofidar Rahman confirmed the matter and said that it is believed that the fire may have started from an electrical short-circuit.